Gaining popularity through various industries, the brushless DC motor is a type of synchronous motor. The permanent-magnet rotors within the BLDC motor use electronic sensors that detect the rotor’s position and a DC supply that powers an AC signal inverter. Instead of using a traditional commutator with brushes, the BLDC motor has stator windings that get electronically commutated.
The lack of a traditional commutator gives the brushless DC motor several benefits over other types of motor drive architectures. These benefits include:
- Higher efficiency
- Less maintenance
- Ability to operate at higher speeds
- Smaller sizes
- No voltage drops across brushes (because there are no brushes)
- Low mechanical vibrations
- Low acoustic noise
- Greater reliability
- Less heat production, which keeps systems cooler
- Higher price-to-performance ratios
- Long life
- Mature manufacturing processes
- Ability to detect the position of a brushless DC motor with internal or external position sensors
- Digital or remote control capabilities
- Greater speed and torque control
While the BLDC motor can cost more than its brush-type counterpart, its overall benefits make up for its cost. However, with the rising popularity of this motor, material costs are starting to lower, making the brushless DC motor the preferred choice for computing, industrial, automotive and medical applications.
Take a look at Sinotech’s DC motor catalog to see our selection of motors and learn how to order your own custom BLDC motor.