When you need a DC gear motor, it can be hard to know the right one to choose. The next time you find yourself in this situation, refer to this list of common features of DC gear motorsto help you figure out how to best meet the needs of your application.
Features of DC Gear Motors
- Gear materials: Plastic or metal.
- Motor types: Wound-field, permanent-magnet, brushless, intermittent and continuous duty motors.
- Brush-type and brushless motors: The brushed motor gains torque from the power supplied to the motor using stationary magnets, commutation and rotating electrical magnets. Brushless motors use a soft magnetic core in the rotor or a permanent magnet, as well as stationary magnets in the housing.
- Uncommutated motors: Homopolar motors or ball bearing motors.
- Connection types: Shunt, series and compound connections.
- Motor constants: Kv and Km.
- Speed control and reversibility: Smoothly control a speed down to zero without power circuit switching, even after accelerating in the opposite direction.
- Dynamic braking and regenerative braking: Ideal for applications that require quick stops so you don’t need a mechanical brake.
- Magnet types: Rare earth, ceramic or ferrite magnets.
- Winding resistance: Choose a motor that doesn’t adversely affect the Km.
- Gear ratios: Several varieties available, such as 28:1 or 18:1.
- Environment: Motors are available for indoor or outdoor use.
- Torque multiplication: Generate a large force at a low speed.
- Custom-built: You can have a DC gear motor designed and manufactured to suit your size, power, torque and mounting needs.
Where DC Gear Motors are Used
The uses for DC gear motors are nearly unlimited. The following applications are some that you may recognize:
- Battery-operated toys
- Disk drives
- Steel rolling mills
- Paper machines
- Medical equipment
- Radio-controlled aircraft
- Drive systems
- Positioning, industrial and consumer actuators
- Mixers, from cake to concrete
- Power drills
- Washing machine knobs
- Electromechanical clocks
When it comes to choosing DC gear motors, you don’t have to make the decision alone. Talk to one of the experts at Sinotech for expert guidance.