A stepper motor is a type of brushless DC motor that has an equal number of steps dividing a full rotation. Micro stepper motors take a standard step, say 7 degrees, and divide it up to provide smaller steps of, for example, 3.5 degrees. As the micro-steps get smaller, the motor’s operations get smoother, which reduces the resonance within the motor and parts connected to it.
The micro stepper motor is suited for control systems for the following reasons:
- Drift-free motor stiffness while stopped.
- High levels of torque despite the small size.
- Stepper motors are simple to maintain because they are brushless.
- The micro steppers increase the positional resolution and smoothness of hybrid stepper motors, which have large step sizes.
- Smooth operation without rattling and mechanical wear.
- Resonance minimization over the entire speed range.
- Simple installation and programming.
- Great stability when stopped.
- The ability to control multiple axes of motion.
- Resolutions range up to 360 steps per revolution.
- The motor stays cool while in operation, which may eliminate the need for fans.
- Repeatability of a positioning system.
- The integration of a drive, indexer and power supply in a single, low-cost package that doesn’t require an external computer or PLC.
Sinotech works with micro stepper motor manufacturers in the Pacific Rim to bring you custom-engineered solutions for your needs at competitive prices. Take a look at Sinotech’s stepper motor catalog or contact us to learn more.